Beyond internal research projects, Drilling Simulator Celle is dedicated to perform diverse research and development work with industry customers. It is a major goal to save our customers expensive field testing cost and time through realistic and repeatable laboratory research.
Examples of previous projects have been
- CFD Simulation “Gas Trap” (major service company)
- Flow Loop Tests with new Downhole Tool, several phases (service company)
- Feasibility Study “Software Simulator Based Scenario Training” (major oilfield operator)
DSC is ready to help customers with a broad scope of tasks around simulation and modeling of drilling activities. If required, DSC will not only use internal resources but also partner with other institutes and international organizations.
Projects at the Hardware Simulator can be simple and straightforward or very complex, like investigating dynamic dysfunctions of a bottomhole assembly.
DSC’s Software Simulator is currently being transformed into an engineering simulator. Physical models considered for downhole drilling operations need to grasp the highly complex drilling system as a whole. Further developments require the integration of multiple sub-systems including geology, drilling rig, wellbore, mud system and drillstring.
Some examples of future customer work are
- “Scenario Drilling", where critical well sections are drilled in the computer. This can save later on expensive downtime and equipment failure in the field (product sheet).
- Testing and developing customers’ downhole automation control systems. Replacing the “Driller” through an automated system is a development goal of many key industry players.
- “Computational Fluid Dynamics” is a major strength at DSC and can be offered as additional work.